Sewing Machine Cover

1-IMGP1637-001

My sewing machine is a keeper.  I absolutely adore it.  I don’t know what the parts are called, or the names of techniques I use.  I don’t generally know what foot I have on my machine, or even the name of the stitch I chose to use.  BUT… I can sure use it.  And use it, I do!

The thing is… the machine came with a cover.  A rip-stop, bright white, very useful cover.  Fast forward, I dunno, 5 years or so… and the cover isn’t so bright white, and looks filthy, and ugly.  Or it did, anyway.

My machine has lived in Alaska, in a townhouse and in an RV, and now in Texas, in our own house.  It has lived on desks, in closets, in storage containers, in other closets, and finally… on my desk.  Right in the main living space in our house.  I love that.  I love that I can access it at a moments notice.  I love that I don’t have to fish around for the plug.  I love that I don’t have to wonder if it will still work, because it hasn’t ever been “that” long.

By golly, if I’m going to see it every day, even if I don’t turn it on every day, it has to look better than… Well, better than a filthy once-white, factory provided ripstop bag.

Now that I’m done rambling on about my machine, I’ll get down to it.  I was hugely inspired when I saw an image for a Sewing Machine Cover by Ellisan Lane Quilts, on Pinterest.   I loved the patchwork style of the machine and the color popping out.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the lay-it-over-the-top design.  I was hoping to keep more dust off of my machine.

When I saw Strawberry Patches’ Sewing Machine Cozy Tutorial,  I knew what I wanted to do.

1-IMGP1619

So… I got out my box of precut quilty squares and looked at the photo of the cover I was inspired by.  I counted out how many squares I would need and started laying them out.  I got to pinning them as soon as I thought I knew what layout I needed, mostly because of the impending un-arranging that the kids usually bring along with their play.  It didn’t look promising…

2-IMGP1620

Then, I started sewing each row of squares together, with a big seam allowance. I realized right away that the machine I was quilting would be larger than my machine if i didn’t take drastic measures.  I stitched one row of blocks together, then the next, then stitched those two together, and worked my way down.

What I ended up with wasn’t bad.  Here’s the back view… I was proud of my handiwork, since I usually let the fabric go where it wants to go, and in this case I actually tried to even everything out and be professional-like.

3-IMGP1626

 

Then… I realized, it was still too big, and a little silly looking… So I got to trimming again, and got it down to a more reasonable size.

I should take a step back and explain that first I measured my machine, just like Strawberry Patches’ Tutorial explained.  I cut all of the fabric that I would need for her double layer design and it was all ready to go… And THEN, I started on the quilty part.  

4-IMGP1628So, I laid the top, outer layer over my machine and decided where I thought the patchwork machine should be positioned.  Then, I pinned it on, very thoroughly.  I had a great helper!  Don’t you just adore that “cheese face?”

I started stitching the quilty part on with some sort of zig-zag stitch.  I think I might have mentioned at the beginning, that I have NO idea what the stitches are called, so bear with me and take a closer look at this photo.

5-IMGP1630

 

I felt like the bare edges might still fray and fall apart, so I also did a straight stitch through that first zig-zaggy one to really seal the deal.  I managed to stitch right through another layer of fabric accidentally,thanks to two adorable distractions, I mean, helpers… But, that was fairly easily remedied.  Thank Goodness.

7-IMGP1633Then, I used straight stitches, back and forth, to make the “needle” on the quilted machine.  I’ll admit… at this point, I was not feeling very enthusiastic.  The quilty thing looked messy and poorly done and I wasn’t sure that I could ever finish the project.

Nap time was upon us and I was still buried in steps to take.  Oh Bother!

I followed some of the steps from the tutorial on how to make the cozy.  I mostly eyeballed and just winged it.  (Winged it?  Wung it?  Why does this seem wong?)

I wish I could tell you exactly what I did, but you see… nap time was becoming a Need, not just a hope, and it’s a miracle I got any photos at all.  

I was sitting, staring at the outer layer, finally finished, and thinking that I should use some elastic like the factory cover had, so that it hugs on to the machine.  And then it hit me… I wasn’t going to use THAT elastic anymore.  So, I stole it.  I killed that factory cover, by golly, and I stole the drawstring elastic thingy doey.  I stitched that in to the bottom and Voila!

8-IMGP1634

I think I like it!  It certainly took a lot of trimming the stray threads and whatnot, but I think I do like how it turned out.  And it’s a good thing, because I can sew all kinds of stuff, but I don’t think i could have salvaged the factory cover.

9-IMGP1635

Hooray for sewing projects!  And hooray for distractions from a house of sick!

Enjoy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

WordPress Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield